Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrufflicious
Truffle Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central California Flag
ID Request: California Central Coast Day #2
    #15197979 - 10/08/11 09:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys, it has been a few days since the last rain, but we decided to go for a little hike into the Irish Hills trails again to hunt for some delicious edibles. My girlfriend has been pretty excited to go out and find more chanterelles since the first one she managed to find was a Cantharellus californicus. So she has been dragging me on more hikes and encouraging my inner mushroom hunter.
Luckily it didn't take long, and we happened upon a huge grove of what I think might be chanterelles!

We ended up collecting two similar types of mushrooms from two different locations. We also found an interesting slimy mushroom that I didn't really want to pick :frown:.

So here are a few of my observations and some photos! I'd really appreciate if any of these can get identified.

Mushroom A

Habitat: Growing in mud near oak trees, slightly under oak leaf layer, Located in the Irish Hills trails, at San Luis Obispo, CA, and about 70-100 ft above sea level. There were only a few of these at this location.

Gills: White to creamy, shallow wrinkles that are slightly decurrent, averagely spaced, branched

Stem: Stem is orange/yellow, more yellow and creamy when picked. Stem was 3-4 centimeters high, with a 2-2 1/2 centimeter diameter. Thick and tough stem that is fairly equal in diameter throughout. The texture is smooth, and the stem is solid.

Cap: Five centimeter diameter, orange cap, smooth and dry texture, flat/convex and slightly depressed on the edges

Spore Print: spore printing currently, chanterelles hate me when I try to spore print ><

Bruising is rusty orange

Smell: earthy

Here are a few photos of mushroom A, lots of dirt on these guys

Mushrooms B were found higher up, and were plentiful

Habitat: Growing in mud throughout beds of oak leaves, underneath oak trees about half a mile from where we found Mushroom A. Nearly the same elevation

Gills: Gills(shallow wrinkles) are white to cream in color, yellowish at the bottom of the wrinkles, and more decurrent than Mushroom A. Average spacing, and branched.

Stems: 3-5 cm, diameter is 2 to 3 1/2 cm. The stem is tough and thick, and the texture is dry and smooth, plano-concave

Spore print: spore printing now

Bruising: Rusty Orange

Scent: Earthy but lighter than Mushroom A

Some more pictures!

So I have no clue if A and B are the same species, and I could be wrong, but they look slightly different, here are some comparison shots:

Mushroom A is on the right and Mushroom B is on the left

Mushroom C

Habitat: Next to Mushroom B, growing in the mud, caps and stem raised above oak leaf layer.

Gills: White Gills, adnate, and closely spaced

Stem: 3 1/2 cm height with a two centimeter diameter, slightly slimy, equal diameter throughout, solid

Cap: 6 1/2 cm, white to brownish in spots, concave

Spore Print: White / barely visible

Bruising: None evident, though some spots on the stem are very brown.

Scent: No distinct scent

Photos

That's all we managed to find on our second little foray through Irish Hills, thanks for taking the time to look this over, and happy mushroom hunting!

--------------------
“He is like a man using a candle to look for the sun”

Edited by Trufflicious (10/09/11 04:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejet li
The One
Male User Gallery

Loc: penis double yew
Re: ID Request: California Central Coast Day #2 [Re: Trufflicious]
    #15198170 - 10/08/11 10:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

A and B = the same as your last success.  Cantherellus californicus

C - Maybe a Tricholoma or something?  Wait for trusted IDer on C.

--------------------

Offlinexerosene
Grounded
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pennsylvania Flag
Re: ID Request: California Central Coast Day #2 [Re: jet li]
    #15198316 - 10/08/11 10:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I have found C before almost positive. Interested to see what it is if you get a funky brown/yelow/white print

--------------------
Relate or hate On Soundcloud

<3

Offlinesuchen
Once and Future Noob
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shangri-la
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Request: California Central Coast Day #2 [Re: xerosene]
    #15198491 - 10/08/11 11:51 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hopefully you got a good haul of A and B! :congrats:

--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

InvisibleTimmiTM
 User Gallery

Loc: Victoria Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Request: California Central Coast Day #2 [Re: Trufflicious]
    #15199234 - 10/09/11 07:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

C appears to be a Russula sp.

--------------------
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination" ~ John Lennon

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder