Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVashley
Mushroom Child
Female User Gallery
Loc: Creston, BC
ID Request - Forest Mushrooms in BC
    #12793331 - 06/23/10 09:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

THANK YOU in advance for taking your time to check out these species of mushrooms I found on a walk up the mountain! I am most interested in these beauties, and would love any input or leads to steer me in the right direction to discover their identity. Thank you :smile:

Species #1

Bolete of some sort.

HABITAT: Side of a logging road up a mountain, Nearby mostly pine/spruce/cedar and very few deciduous and fir trees. Rotting logs and Deer poop all around.

GILLS: spongey, Grey to off-white, porous

STEM: light textured-Shaggy and also kinda slimy, firm, solid all the way through, brown-grey

CAP: Slimy-sticky, greyish-tan-brown-olive, fleshy

SPORE PRINT COLOR:  Grey-beige-brown

BRUISING: None.. maybe a little darkening of the existing color.. but nothing odd.

----------

Species #2

These I have no idea, but they are in abundance right now in the woods. They are quite small.

HABITAT: Side of a logging road up a mountain, Nearby mostly pine/spruce/cedar and very few deciduous and fir trees. Deer poop all around.

GILLS: Whiteish , medium spaced, and emarginate

STEM: Lilac purple, skinny, hollow, smooth

CAP: Conical, Purple lilac colored center fading to white, dark purple lines throughout, sort of a nipple on top, feels smooth, sorta translucent and dries to a more solid looking pale purple-white when picked...

SPORE PRINT COLOR: Haven't gotten one yet, but I am currently trying to get one off these mushrooms, I will update this part if it's successful =)

BRUISING: None whatsoever

------------

Species #3

Crappy camera quality, I know. Bare with me.

HABITAT: Side of a logging road up a mountain, Nearby mostly pine/spruce/cedar and very few deciduous and fir trees. Rotting logs and Deer poop all around.

GILLS: Adnexed, greyish beige to a light rusty brown, close-medium spaced

STEM: White-almond creamy color, squishy and fiberous... if you cut it you can peel the stem like a cheese string :smile:

CAP: Almondy-bronze brown, fiberous looking fleshy-leathery feel, I'd say umbonate shaped, some have the nipple on top. That nipple looks orangey on some.

SPORE PRINT COLOR: Haven't gotten one yet, but I am currently trying to get one off these mushrooms, I will update this part if it's successful =)

BRUISING: no strange bruising

------------

Species #4

These were SO pretty in the wild. Too bad I never got their photo while they were in the ground. They have been sitting in the sun for about 2 hours before I decided to post them here.  :frown:
Plus my camera sucks... this is the WORST picture... But im still curious enough to post them. Any ideas would be great.

GILLS: Light grey-blue slate color, either adnexed or free... can't quite distinguish, close-medium spaced

STEM: short, White at the top part by gills, light slate grey-blue all the way down, fiberous and squishy, small ones had a solid stem and the bigger ones had a quite hollow stem. White on the inside. VERY strong Mycelium, pulled up pine needles and other debris with it, even the small ones.

CAP: Convex, faint blue slate tint, dry, smooth, white on the inside

BRUISING: sort of, not quite sure what color... maybe a tawny browny-yellow...

OTHER: Smells really good and mushroomy :smile:

---------

Species #5

HABITAT: Side of a logging road up a mountain, Nearby mostly pine/spruce/cedar and very few deciduous and fir trees.... This one was growing out of the base of a deciduous tree.

GILLS: Yellowy-white, closely spaced, Adnate

STEM: skinny stem, hollow, Smooth, yellowy-white

CAP: Ovate-Convex, fleshy and smooth, Light brown mahogany orangey, younger ones have a prominent nipple, as they age the nipple will actually depress/sink and the mushroom flattens out.

SPORE PRINT COLOR: White

BRUISING: Nothing, not a thing

OTHER: Smells mushroomy and good

----

SO SORRY in advance for not having any spore prints. I collected these this afternoon and am spore printing them as I type =) I will update this either later tonight or tomorrow morning with spore prints.

THANK YOU!

~Ashley

--------------------
"If all the insects were to disappear off the earth, within 50 years all life on earth would end. If all human beings disappeared off the earth, within 50 years, all forms of life would flourish."

Edited by Vashley (06/25/10 02:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: ID Request - Forest Mushrooms in BC [Re: Vashley]
    #12793370 - 06/23/10 09:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

1) Maybe Suillus sp.
2) Maybe Mycena sp.
3) Maybe Agrocybe sp.
4) Not sure.
5) Not sure.

OfflineVashley
Mushroom Child
Female User Gallery
Re: ID Request - Forest Mushrooms in BC [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #12793737 - 06/23/10 10:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

awesome, im googleing all the purple Mycenas I can find

So far:

Mycena Pura
Mycena Seynii
Mycena haematopus
Mycena galopus nigra

trying to narrow down the search

--------------------
"If all the insects were to disappear off the earth, within 50 years all life on earth would end. If all human beings disappeared off the earth, within 50 years, all forms of life would flourish."

Edited by Vashley (06/23/10 10:18 PM)

Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Trusted Identifier
    #12793775 - 06/23/10 10:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

1, Suillus
2, Mycena
3, Inocybe
5, Polyporus

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #12793778 - 06/23/10 10:21 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

3 is an inocybe
4 looks like it may be a lactarius, when you cut it does it exude liquid
5 is a gymnopus, probably Gymnopus dryophyla

Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Request - Forest Mushrooms in BC [Re: falcon]
    #12793814 - 06/23/10 10:28 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Whoa, I cant see gills on those on my my computer. I don't know if its my screen or the picture, but it looks like a bare hymenium layer to me. Im embaressed :blush:

--------------------

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12793848 - 06/23/10 10:35 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

no 4. cortinarius iodioides:congrats::awesomenod:what on that gymnopus dryphylus?(no 5)

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Request - Forest Mushrooms in BC [Re: ehtdaedlufetarg]
    #12793850 - 06/23/10 10:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I can't see them either, :tongue:

Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #12793867 - 06/23/10 10:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ok. Thats makes me feel better. As soon as i read your ID i could see thats what they were.

--------------------

OfflineVashley
Mushroom Child
Female User Gallery
    #12794315 - 06/23/10 11:49 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

ehtdaedlufetarg, Im sorry about my crappy pictures.... It was a hand-me-down camera which I only just started to use... Sometimes it takes brilliant pics and other times downright AWFUL photos... its just not fair. Technology got the best of me.

And no, number 4 exuded no liquid when cut. I will get better pictures, I think my boyfriend actually snapped a few great pics of this mushroom, it was his find, so when I see him again I will make him give me better pictures... because mine doesn't do justice :smile:

AWESOME to know about the gymnopus dryphylus.... It does look just like one, Or at least, just like the pictures of it that I just seen on google.... heh.  I will definately have to find more about it. Are they edible? I just read that they qualify as the weed of the North American mushroom. They sure are a good looking mushroom. Very smooth and fleshy.

Inocybe definately narrows that one down, THANKS! That one I found lots of in the forest... woohoo

--------------------

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
    #12794327 - 06/23/10 11:51 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

cool finds. i love creston, i spent a summer there a few years ago. i loved hitting duck lake right at sunrise after workin a night shift with some carolans and coffee and a few fatties. :grin: ahhh good ole sirdar pub ribs too!

--------------------

OfflineVashley
Mushroom Child
Female User Gallery
Re: ID Request - Forest Mushrooms in BC [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #12794471 - 06/24/10 12:26 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ohh cool!! What a small world. :smile: It is a beautiful place here, and so many great mushrooms live here! We are having such a cloudy rainy wet season... they are just everywhere you look. And literally every step you take in the forest you encounter a species of mushroom in full swing. I had dozens of species in my basket I carried back for identification, but I couldn't post hardly any due to my crappy photo skills.... LOL. damn. All in good time I guess.

--------------------

Offlinecameal
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW, Canada
    #12794497 - 06/24/10 12:35 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Number 4  looks like a white blewitt to me... consider lepista?

--------------------
I advise any noob looking to identify mushrooms to fill out the ID form and provide clear photographs. Knowledge is a privilege and deserves respect. Let's give due props to the experts!

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
Re: ID Request - Forest Mushrooms in BC [Re: cameal]
    #12794865 - 06/24/10 02:40 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

guesses:

#2 Mycena sp.
#3 Inocybe sp. 
#4 no idea
#5 Gymnopus sp.

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
    #12795653 - 06/24/10 09:50 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Vashley said:
Ohh cool!! What a small world. :smile: It is a beautiful place here, and so many great mushrooms live here! We are having such a cloudy rainy wet season... they are just everywhere you look. And literally every step you take in the forest you encounter a species of mushroom in full swing. I had dozens of species in my basket I carried back for identification, but I couldn't post hardly any due to my crappy photo skills.... LOL. damn. All in good time I guess.

thats awesome, pretty much most of our province is getting the good moist weather . i wish i had a chance to mushroom hunt when i was up there. i mostly fished duck and gold panned on the goat. i just love that place. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineVashley
Mushroom Child
Female User Gallery
Re: ID Request - Forest Mushrooms in BC [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #12802986 - 06/25/10 02:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

UPDATE

I got a spore print of the Suillus, and one for the Gymnopus sp.

the Suillus was Grey-brown-tan and the Gymnopus was a bright white.

The rest didn't do anything. I had them spore printing on a sheet of glass, and I moved the glass over top of black and white paper, and they didn't leave any print... I will try and get better specimens next time. Im sure I will be going back up that mountain again sometime soon. :smile:

Haven't gotten the better pics off my boyfriends camera yet

and I am thinking #4 is a Lepista Nuda, if It grows in BC, but I will do further research on that.

THANK YOU everyone for your help =)

psylosymonreturns, Gold panning sounds like SO MUCH FUN!!! I live at the bottom of goat mountain, if I knew how, I could pan it everyday If I liked! hehehe!

--------------------

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12803192 - 06/25/10 02:51 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

clotocybe nuda aka lepista nuda is a fall species, so it's not that. I implore you to look at cortonarius iodioides for that, it's extremely close, found in your area, at this time of year, and the taxonimy lines up.

OfflineCliffo
Stranger than you.
 User Gallery

#12803380 - 06/25/10 03:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Vashley said:

Up in the Golden area here, been nice and moist here too, i love it. Definitely going to be a good shroom year.

--------------------
:regularshroom:Mushroom Photographer Extraordinaire!:regularshroom:

:1up:My Trade List! :1up:

OfflineVashley
Mushroom Child
Female User Gallery
Re: ID Request - Forest Mushrooms in BC [Re: SomeGuy]
    #12803810 - 06/25/10 05:00 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

THANK YOU for suggesting Cortonarius iodioides, it is definately close looking to the mushroom I seen. The sad part is that my boyfriend found them and picked them so I didn't notice if they had slimey caps or stems. Afterwards, taking them home, if there was slime, it definately lost it because they were smooth and dry when it came time for me to inspect them.

:smile: Ah, mushrooms. Tricky little buggers.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck