Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Today in psychedelic history (05/05) * 1
    #12515633 - 05/06/10 08:48 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

• 1965:  The Warlocks (Grateful Dead) play their first paid gig

Quote:

The Warlocks First Paid Gig - Magoo's Pizza Parlor, Menlo Park

"And let's not forget that this group had metamorphosed from a jug band. A lot of the songs the Warlocks played came straight from the Mother McCree's repertoire, which meant that even in the group's nascent days it was stunningly eclectic and quite a bit different from the other electric groups on the scene. Yes, there were other bands around that played "Somkestack Lightning," and "Johnny B. Goode" and "It's All Over Now," but they weren't playing "Stealin'," and "Overseas Stomp" (also called "Lindy"), "I Know You Rider" and "Viola Lee Blues." And they didn't have the same reckless abandon that nearly everyone who heard the Warlocks could sense immediately, "We were always motivated by the possibility that we could have fun, big fun," Garcia said. "I was reacting, in a way, to my bluegrass background, which was maybe a little overserious. I was up for the idea of breaking out. You know: 'Give me that electric guitar--fuckin' A!' " -- Garcia: An American Life - Blair Jackson - Page 69

"Many of the people who had supported the jug band also followed Garcia, Weir and Pigpen when they started playing electric music."
  "It was mainly a big contingent of Peninsula friends and a few curious onlookers who made the scene at Magoo's Pizza Parlor on Santa Cruz Avenue in Menlo Park, where the group played some of it's first gigs in May of 1965. Pigpen and pizza: what a combination! It's hard to say whether Magoo's was a step up or a step down from local haunts like the Continental Roller Bowl in Santa Clara or Big Al's Gas House in Redwood City, but at least it was a place to play, and the fans turned out in force. "When we were the Warlocks," Garcia said, "the first time we played in public [at Menlo College], we had a huge crowd of people from the local high school, and they went fuckin' nuts! The next time we played it was packed to the rafters. It was a pizza place. We said, 'Hey, Can we play in here on Wednesday night? We won't bother anybody. Just let us set up in the corner.' It was pandemonium, immediately." - Garcia: American Life - Blair Jackson - Pages 70-71

"I remember going to a couple of rehearsals of Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions. Various publications have listed me as a member of the band but I never was. I was at the Warlock's first gig at Magoo's. This was when they finally got all their shit together. I think they rehearsed in Dan's for the first one and then they got this gig at Magoo's. The thing about Dana was that he had all the stuff to play on so they let him be the bass player. He couldn't play bass for shit man. They gave him the best break possible and he just couldn't do it." -- John "Marmaduke" Dawson -- Dark Star Oral Biography - Robert Greenfield - Page 64

"Jammed into a tiny, dark rehearsal room at Morgan's, they practiced away, setting the snare drums that sat on the wall to rattling. Garcia was studying Freddie King as he began the process of translating precision bluegrass playing into blues-based guitar licks. From the beginning, his style would retain the clarity of the banjo note, but electric guitar allowed for a freedom of expression, particularly of rhythm, and for emphasizing individual notes, in a way that bluegrass banjo never could. One reason the room was crowded was their audience. The first rehearsal had been closed, but a friend of Weir's, veteran Beatlemaniac Sue Swanson, had elected herself fan for life and found a corner from which to watch the second rehearsal, and those that followed. She was soon joined by her sister in Beatleism, Connie Bonner. Fairly soon, Sue also found herself a job, that of playing the 45s from which the band learned new songs. At length, it came time to choose their name. Weir was reading Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and there was much talk of wizards and magic. Some combinations of Weir, Garcia, and Pigpen came up with the name "Warlocks," and it stuck. On May 5, the Warlocks played their first public show, at Magoo's Pizza Parlor in Menlo Park. It was a quiet night, with an audience that was primarily Menlo-Atherton High School students, since Sue, Connie, and another of Weir's friends, Bob Matthews, had talked up the show there.
  By the second gig, on May 12, the joint was packed, and the response was fabulous. Hunter, for one, thought the show was "wonderful". They were a basic cover band, playing Chuck Berry, "Stealin'," Dylan's "Baby Blue," King Bee," "Walkin' the Dog," "Wooly Bully," and other hits. Afterward, there was the usual party, and Jerry and Phil Lesh, who'd arrived late and missed the gig, went out to Weir's friend's car to get stoned. It was a slightly nervous situation, since Weir was not only underage but incapable of dissimulation. But pot was pot, and this baggie came from a special source, a friend of Weir's having purchased it from the legendary Neal Cassady, "Dean Moriarty" of Kerouac's On the Road. This was an exceptional pedigree, and they all appreciated it.
    ....."On May 27 [3rd and last Magoo's show] Phil and his friends Hank Harrison and Bobby and Jane Petersen took some acid and went down to Menlo Park to see what Jerry's band could do. Hunter was also there, as were Bonnie and David Parker. His imagination seized by Pigpen's harmonica on "Little Red Rooster," Lesh began to dance, and was told by the pizza parlor management to stop. Kreutzmann would recall his long blond hair shaking away, and the ensuing argument. Weir knew Garcia had plans for his old friend. the bass player, Dana Morgan, wasn't really a musician, and he couldn't make weekend gigs because of a National Guard obligation. Moreover, his wife didn't particularly care for the other Warlocks. Consequently, after the first set Garcia pulled Lesh into a booth, put a beer in his hand, and told him, "Listen man, you're gonna play in my band." It was a statement, not a question or invitation. "I was so excited," Lesh said, "that I didn't have to think about it...but I knew something great was happening, something bigger than everybody, bigger than me for sure." Afterward they went over to Garcia's home, where Bobby Petersen told Garcia that they had taken LSD. "Gee," Jerry replied, "if I'd known you were doing acid, I'd have taken you on a better trip...I could never play doing acid." It would be a while before he'd be confident enough to get high and play, and the first time was accidental." -- What A Long Strange Trip - Dennis McNally - Page 81-83

"Jerry and those guys were beyond the music even then. They were  abunch of very hip guys. They were all reading The Hobbit and they were doing this communal living that opened my eyes. I dug the music because they were doing bluegrass songs.  They were doing Bob Dylan. They were putting this roots music in the context of rock 'n' roll." -- David Grisman - Dark Star Oral Biography - Robert Greenfield - Page 63

"As the Warlocks, they had a hard time getting work at first. They didn't get hired anywhere for a long time, but they finally started landing some club dates. Their first gig was at Magoo's Pizza Parlor in Menlo Park. they played three nights over a three-week period, and word about their brand of electric blues and rock 'n' roll began to spread. Garcia described what transpired. "The first night at the pizza parlor, nobody was there. When we played there again, it was on a Wednesday night; there [were] a lot of kids there. And then the third night there [were] three or four hundred, all up from the high schools--and in there man, in there was this rock 'n' roll band. We were playing; people were freaking out.
  Phil Lesh recounted the details of the night that he went to see Garcia's new band play at Magoo's: ..."whenever it was that they were playing, we took acid and went down there...We came bopping in there, and it was really happening. Pigpen ate my mind with the harp, singing the blues..." -- Captain Trips - 59-60

"For the next few weeks, we heard nothing from down south, but then word started coming in -- the Warlocks were playing Fridays and Saturdays at a pizza joint in Menlo Park called Magoo's. Ruth and I scored a ride down for Saturday -- the night that was to change my life forever.
  The band was in full swing as we approached the door, and so were we. The music was so loud, even outside, and the groove so compelling, that I just had to dance. In the door we danced, only to be blown back against the wall by the loudest music I'd ever heard. The band was set up right in the front and seperated from the side wall by only the width of the door; we had to fight our way through an almost palpable sea of sound, only to be informed by some fans that there NO! Dancing! Allowed! -- something about a permit. This put a damper on our fun for about five seconds, and we all squeezed into a booth to listen. The band finished the rocker that they'd been dismembering as we came in and started out on a slow blues that I recognized from a Stones album -- "I'm a King Bee". When Pig came in with the vocal, I had to look away; it was just so sexual -- the sound of his voice over the mike delivering slithery insinuations and promises of pleasures beyond comprehension -- and when he took a harp lead (backed by Jerry, in a call-and-response-pattern), it absolutely ate my mind: Whew, these guys never sounded like this at all those parties! What was new of course, was electricity: Amplification of instruments and voices enabled nuances that once would have been lost in the noise floor to be clearly heard and developed further in a seemingly infinite progression. I didn't have much time to contemplate those kinds of thoughts; the band went into another rocker, and I spasmodically leaped up from my seat and twitched around the very narrow isle around the booths and the wall -- until I felt a hand descend none too gently on my shoulder. This time it was the manager himself: "You can't dance in here!" Oh, all right already; but by this time the band had finished their set, and Jerry dragged me away and sat me down in a booth, with an uncharacteristically serious look on his face. "Listen man, I want you to come and play Bass in this band. The guys we have can't cut it; we have to tell him what notes to play. I know you're a musician -- you can pick up this instrument so easy." At first, I didn't know quite how to respond -- this was so out of the blue -- of course I'd forgotten about our conversation at the party just a few weeks previously, and to this day i'm not sure whether or not that was a factor in Jerry's offer. Needless to say, he didn't have to twist my arm very hard; having been at loose ends for so long, I was tremendously excited, as I'd been waiting subconsciously for some opportunity to get back into music on any level at all. Besides, I knew I could learn the instrument, and even play it differently than I had so far heard it being played (something I instinctively knew had to happen, given Jerry's unique approach to music); even so, I had to have at least one condition: "O.k., man, i'll do it, but I want you to give me a lesson." "A Lesson?" "Yep, just one lesson, so I'll have a good idea of the fundamentals." "Sure -- come on over to my house after the gig and you got it.
  During the second set, I was doing some furiously concentrated listening, trying to percieve the relationships between the various roles -- rhythm section, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, voice -- and trying to figure out what I could do to fit in in a creative way, no small challenge given the rapport that Bob, Jerry, Pig and their drummer Bill Kreutzmann, had already developed. Billy and I didn't meet that night, but he remembers me sitting up front, being "in the band on an energy level." It turns out that Jerry, after our conversation at the party, had actually mentioned me to Bobby right before the gig at Magoo's, saying that he knew someone who could learn the bass fast, a musician, and he's going to be here tonight. How could he have known? We had just spontaneously decided to go down late that afternoon. -- Searching for the Sound - Phil Lesh - Pages 46-47

"Anyone who saw Ginsberg on T.V. and dropped out and played jazz and wore a beret and let his hair grow a little longer knows what it's all about. But anyone who stayed home and went to ballgames ten years ago couldn't have followed the zen path: It's very narrow, it's mutually exclusive. There was only one door open in and around San Francisco, and a finite number of curiousity seekers took the opportunity to pass like the Elu of the Nine in Masonic ritual. An even smaller number found their way to Menlo Park in 1965, to a Pizza Parlor called Magoo's. Magoo's was just a place, prosaic and accidental, on a clean, upper-middle-class street. But Magoo's is where the Grateful Dead started. The San Francisco Sound. It was a small sound by present standards, but it started before LBJ or the moon landings.
  People had gotten together and they all heard the sound for the first time and they could still hear it a week later, tingling on the lips. They felt it in the air, the sheer magnetic mantra. They knew it was apocryphal because they had never heard anything like it before. So it was a new human experience being had...there in Magoo's.
  That was when the bubble jelled. To be ripped open and blown up again a thousand times. White magic and the antagonist -- black magic lurking in some sinister corner. The impression stored in crystals of a sugar cube brought all the way from N.Y., from IFIF:

If What?
International Federation for Internal Freedom
The last time Tim Leary saw sanity.

There it was, this little montage of history inside this little sugar cube and it all happened simultaneously on a white pedestal on a purple pillow with the gold tassles -- the crown jewel of all heads -- the first LSD.
  Internal Freedom but not external -- music worked on externals. The music worked from the crust inward...the acid etched from the inside out...and the music progressed from pizza parlors to topless joints to the Acid Tests to the college campus to the Philharmonic to wax grooves rotating at 33 1/2 rpm to celluloid passing at shutter at 16 fps to GOD and, finally, to peace, we hope." -- The Grateful Dead - Vanguard of a New Generation - Hank Harrison - Pages 12-13

From Phil Lesh's Bio :
  Phil met Garcia at a party in 1961. Jerry was an up and coming bluegrass banjo picker, Phil was doing engineering work for the progressive Berkeley radio station KPFA and managed to get his new friend his first serious radio exposure. They saw each other, as well as the other future members of the Dead, at various parties and events over the next few years, not knowing their destinies were to become entwined. That finally happened in the spring of 1965. Phil was living in a bohemian enclave in San Francisco called Haight-Ashbury, working as a driver for the post office, growing his hair long and getting into Dylan and the Rolling Stones and other bands he heard on the radio. One night he and some friends took some LSD, which was still legal then, drove down to Palo Alto and saw Garcia's new electric band, The Warlocks, at a pizza parlor.
  The Warlocks blew Phil's mind that night, and during a set break Garcia approached him about becoming their new bassist. Though he'd never played bass before, he accepted the challenge and set about learning the instrument in his own peculiar way: rather than studying and copying the great pop and R&B bassists of the day, he relied on his deep knowledge of jazz and classical music--of composers like Bach and Palestrina, and jazz bassists such as Scott La Faro and Charles Mingus--to inform his style, which evolved quickly onstage at Warlocks gigs.

The guys chose a dark, forbidding new name -- the Warlocks (which would later be an early name for a band of another sphere, the Velvet Underground). Lesh joined in May 1965, after the first set of a Warlocks gig at a pizza parlor in Menlo Park that Lesh attended, high on acid, and enjoyed so well that he danced by himself in front of the bandstand. Garcia cornered him and announced, "Hey, man -- you're going to be the bass player in this band," as Lesh recalls. Such was Garcia's intuitive sense of the two men's companionability, his faith in Lesh's fundamental musical acumen and his disdain for the rudimentary plunking of the music-store owner's son, whose father repossessed the band's equipment. (Garcia hustled up replacement gear on loan.) - From Rolling Stone :

In my book, Cosmic Trends, I described one of the first Grateful Dead concerts—at a pizza parlor—when they were still known as the Warlocks. Cosmic Trends’ Table of Contents lists a Chapter 14 short subsection titled, “Uranus-Pluto Profile: The Warlocks.” A casual reader could be forgiven for thinking that, since my book is found in the New Age section of bookstores, the Warlocks must be about Wicca.
  Cosmic Trends is an astrology book that connects events in history and popular culture to the cycles of the outer planets, and I included the Grateful Dead in my book to help illustrate the cataclysmic cultural changes that took place in the mid-1960’s.
  Although I wrote about the Warlocks in the third person, I was present at their debut. Several readers have written asking for more information on this historic concert.
  I attended Palo Alto High School. Pigpen (Ron McKernon) was not exactly an alum, since he dropped out, but Palo Alto was “home” to some of the early Dead. Phil Lesh (who I recently saw in concert and wrote about in my blog) lived a few blocks from the high school—although he had not yet joined the group when I saw them perform at Magoo’s Pizza Parlor. My younger sister took guitar lessons from Jerry Garcia at a local music store. Dana Morgan, Jr., was an early band member whose father owned the Dana Morgan music store (which closed in the 1980’s) in downtown Palo Alto. One night, I was at a dead (referring solely to the party atmosphere) Saturday night party when Bill Weir dropped by. At that time—probably late 1965—he was already a minor local celebrity and his arrival at the party caused a stir.
  A friend of mine heard that a really good band was going to be playing at Magoo’s Pizza Parlor in nearby Menlo Park. It was May, 1965, and I was a junior in high school. This band, the Warlocks, had played one night already and word was spreading that this was some great music.
  Although memory is a bit tricky, I seem to recall that they played two sets and that my friends and I arrived during their first set. I do know that they were already playing when we arrived. A girl I knew from my high school was there—much to my surprise because she was not part of my own hip little clique. She was dancing on the sidewalk, as were a number of other people. That was my first clue that something amazing was going on. Dancing on the sidewalk in Menlo Park? That was almost like a guy not getting a haircut. Or painting a school bus with psychedelic colors.
  I was with a group of three or four friends. The atmosphere inside Magoo’s was strictly pizza parlor—bright overhead lights, long tables, ovens in the back. The band was set up by the front plate glass window, confined to a rather narrow area without a stage. Jerry Garcia was on the audience’s left, Pigpen on the far right. Those two, especially, looked somewhat menacing (at least to a suburban 15 year-old). They reminded me of outlaw bikers. Bob Weir, Dana Morgan, and Bill Kreutzmann were clean-shaven and looked more like guys you might see in a high school band.
  The music was stunning. I have never forgotten it, although I cannot recall the specific set list. I think they did some Stones covers and I know that Pigpen sang “Little Red Rooster.” They were not the psychedelic Dead or the Americana Dead. The music I heard was raw rhythm and blues, propelled to a large extent by Pigpen’s animal magnetism (I suppose that’s a bit sexist, but it’s really how he came across).
  I left feeling: Not only is this the best music I have ever heard—it’s the best music I will ever hear. It stirred something deep within me, a kind of longing where a layer of the superficial world had been peeled back and I could see the possibility of something beyond a life of neat cul-de-sacs, trimmed magnolias, and hanging out at Mitchell Park.
  As I mentioned in my book, when rumor spread that the Warlocks had changed their name to the Grateful Dead, we were confused. “What does it mean? Great Full Dead? I don’t get it.” “No, it’s Grateful Dead.” “Oh, but…what does that mean?” We dug deep to come up with answers. We parsed. We looked to ancient texts.
  In June, 1966, I graduated from high school and moved to London. When I returned to the Bay Area some 16 months later, the Dead had released their first album, which did not sound at all like what I’d heard at Magoo’s."
from http://www.astrofuturetrends.com/grateful_dead.htm
My Account of the First Grateful Dead Concert: May, 1965

(http://www.postertrip.com)

• 1967:  The Jimi Hendrix Experience release the single for "The Wind Cries Mary" b/w "Highway Chile"

Quote:

The Wind Cries Mary is a song by The Jimi Hendrix Experience released as the band's third single, backed with "Highway Chile", on May 5, 1967. The track is an example of psychedelic blues-rock, as the song is in the key of F major, with a guitar solo primarily involving the F major pentatonic scale. One of Hendrix's first hits in England, the song was recorded at the end of the "Fire" sessions. Today, it is #370 on Rolling Stones list of the 500 greatest songs of all time. It has been covered by musicians such as Jamie Cullum, John Mayer and Xavier Rudd. In the USA, the song was first released as B-side to the song "Purple Haze" in June 1967 and later on the USA compilation version of the album Are You Experienced and along with the other sides of their first three singles, on most later re-releases of Are You Experienced.

The song is said to have been inspired when Hendrix and his then girlfriend, Kathy Etchingham, had an argument over her cooking; after she stormed out of their apartment, Hendrix wrote "The Wind Cries Mary", as Mary was Etchingham's middle name.[citation needed] Kathy has said that many of the Dylanesque lyrics describe the test card that appeared at the end of BBC television transmissions at that time.  A mistake on Kathy's behalf as that particular testcard wasn't first broadcast until July 1967, while the song had been written long before that. Billy Cox, who was the bassist for the Band of Gypsys and long-time friend of Hendrix has stated Curtis Mayfields' influence on the song.

"'The Wind Cries Mary' was a riff that was influenced by Curtis Mayfield, who was a big influence for Jimi."

It is a misconception that Hendrix wrote the song about marijuana use, as "Mary Jane" is a slang term for marijuana. "The Wind Cries Mary" and "Highway Chile" were re-released in 1983, on The Singles Album compilation.

B-side "Highway Chile"
Released May 5, 1967
Format 7"
Recorded January 11, 1967 at De Lane Lea Studios in London, England
Genre Rock, psychedelic rock, blues-rock
Length 3:20
Label Track
Writer(s) Jimi Hendrix
Producer Chas Chandler

(https://en.wikipedia.org)

"Highway Chile" is a song by English/American psychedelic rock band The Jimi Hendrix Experience, featured as the B-side to their 1967 third United Kingdom single "The Wind Cries Mary". The song was written by vocalist and guitarist Jimi Hendrix and later appeared on the international version of the compilation Smash Hits, released in April 1968.

The song was described, in the book Jimi Hendrix: Electric Gypsy, as "a joyful autobiographical stomp," explaining it as being a story of the pursuit of the American Dream.  Matthew Greenwald of allmusic also talks about the song as autobiographical, claiming that "It's easy to see that Hendrix was writing about himself here, and his life as a musician on the road in the R&B/soul "Chitlin' Circuit," and forming his own unique vision and style."

Musically, "Highway Chile" has been described as "A funky shuffle [...] a great place for Hendrix's mid-tempo, R&B riffing, based on a blues pattern."  The song was released, both on "The Wind Cries Mary" and Smash Hits, in mono; it was made available in stereo for the first time when released on the box set The Jimi Hendrix Experience in September 2000.

The use of the word 'chile' is a deliberate misspelling of the word "child", to mimic that Hendrix didn't pronounce the end of the word, which he also used on the song "Voodoo Chile" from Electric Ladyland.

Released 5 May 1967
Recorded 3 April 1967 at Olympic Sound Studios, London
Genre Psychedelic rock, blues-rock, hard rock
Length 3:19
Label Track
Writer Jimi Hendrix
Producer Chas Chandler

• 1982:  Jerry Garcia and John Kahn play Oregon State Prison

Quote:

"That show was beautiful. A little history on that show. The year before that show a bunch of family got busted with a large amount needlepoint LSD in Oregon. They were all sentenced to Oregon St. prison . That's why Jerry played that prison and that show. "
- Chinacat72

Listen to the show

• 1987:  Harold Blauer's family wins negligence lawsuit over his MDA death

Quote:

$702,044 awarded in drug-research death

United Press International
  NEW YORK — A federal judge Tuesday [May 5th, 1987] awarded more than $700,000 to the estate of a man who died in 1953 after he was used involuntarily in a secret Army chemical-warfare program.
  U.S. District Judge Constance Motley ordered the $702,044 award in the federal negligent-death suit to Elizabeth Barrett and her sister, Belinda Gilroy, on behalf of the estate of Harold Blauer, their father.
  Blauer died "as a result of one in a series of injections of mescaline derivatives he was given at the New York State Psychiatric Institute, a hospital run by New York state."
  The hospital was under contract to the Army.
  A spokesman said the government does not know whether it will appeal.
  The judge said the Army used "a hallucinogen" on Blauer in its search for a "potential 'discombobulate? of enemy populations."
  Blauer was a 42-year-old tennis pro undergoing psychotherapy for severe depression after a divorce when he died Jan. 8, 1953.
  Blauer was admitted to the institute on Dec. 5, 1952, and improved substantially through therapy. His depression was not regarded as a permanent condition.
  His ex-wife, Amy Blauer, who died in 1974, sued the state, eventually settling for $18,000 in 1955. A release signed at the time was rescinded in order to file the federal suit.
  Motley said the statute of limitations did not apply because of fraud by the government in not telling the victim it was carrying out the secret chemical-warfare experiment..
  The fatal injection was given for "diagnostic purposes," according to the medical examiner's report, but that was misleading, Motley said. "
  The primary reason the Army covered up its involvement was to avoid 'embarrassment and adverse publicity' that would result in the -disclosure that the government was testing potential chemical-warfare agents on unsuspecting citizens," Motley said.

(Arizona Republic Phoenix Arizona 06 May 1987 Wed Page 3)

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Edited by Learyfan (05/01/21 08:00 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/05) [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #12515636 - 05/06/10 08:49 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I know I'm a day late on this one.  I haven't had a computer of my own to use lately. 

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#14403757 - 05/05/11 05:38 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

"The Wind Cries Mary"

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (05/05/14 05:36 AM)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#16185300 - 05/05/12 09:13 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

45th anniversary of the "Wind Cries Mary"/"Highway Chile" single today. 

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#16185315 - 05/05/12 09:20 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

30th anniversary of the Garcia/Kahn Oregon State Prison show today.

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (05/05/13 07:53 AM)

OfflinemuirileD
Living in Blissful Delirium
Male User Gallery

Loc: in the woods
Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/05) [Re: Learyfan] * 3
    #16185763 - 05/05/12 11:42 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Mmmmmmmmm...

The start of something magical happened today

:smile:

--------------------
:bonghit:

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/05) [Re: muirileD] * 1
    #18216840 - 05/05/13 07:58 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (05/05/14 05:38 AM)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/05) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #19943088 - 05/05/14 05:41 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#21638254 - 05/05/15 05:35 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

50th anniversary of The Grateful Dead making money.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#23191176 - 05/05/16 05:45 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#24296779 - 05/05/17 05:49 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

50th anniversary of "The Wind Cries Mary", 35th anniversary of the Jerry Garcia and John Kahn Oregon show and 30th anniversary of Harold Blauer's family winning a negligence lawsuit against the government for his MDA death today.

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (05/05/19 09:11 AM)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#25185562 - 05/05/18 08:30 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#25973495 - 05/05/19 09:11 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#26650172 - 05/05/20 09:34 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

55th anniversary of The Grateful Dead's show at Magoo's Pizza Parlor, which was their first paid show.

--------------------

OfflineTyperwritermonky
shboop a doop a doop

Loc: Mrs. Brown's Teahouse
    #26651390 - 05/05/20 06:19 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Man I wonder what mescaline derivative they gave the guy!  Some kind of DOx???  Or some crazy government concauction?

Could entirely pure mescaline HCL if made in a lab be IV'd??  Would it kick in faster and smoother, or be like LSD and hit the same?  They are totally different molecules mescaline being phen and LSD being a lysergamide... Very interesting....

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/05) [Re: Typerwritermonky] * 1
    #27295181 - 05/05/21 07:39 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

No brother, the drug that killed him was MDA. It was just so new that they called it a mescaline derivative. They had previously gave him a couple of really rare ones called DMA and MDPEA, but the one that killed him was MDA. Of course most of the news articles referenced LSD, because that's pretty much the only psychedelic people were aware of. Here's Harold Blauer's Wikipedia page:

Quote:

Harold Blauer (1910 – January 8, 1953) was an American tennis player who died as a result of injections of 450 mg 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (code-named EA-1298) as part of Project MKUltra, a covert CIA mind-control and chemical interrogation research program run by the Office of Scientific Intelligence.

Tennis

Blauer lost in the round before the quarterfinals of the 1935 United States Professional Tennis Tournament 3–6, 3–6, 3–6 to tennis legend (and eventual tournament champion) Bill Tilden.

Death

Blauer checked into the New York State Psychiatric Institute (NYSPI) in late 1952, seeking help for depression following a divorce. While at the facility, he was used as a test subject in experiments conducted by the Army Chemical Corps. The Army had a classified agreement with the psychiatric institute that allowed them to study possible chemical warfare compounds by administering the substances to patients.

Between November 1952 and January 1953 Blauer was given injections of various chemical analogues of mescaline. He was first given relatively low doses of MDA (3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine), then DMA (3,4‐dimethoxyamphetamine), MDPEA (3,4‐methylenedioxyphenethylamine) and DMA once again. Blauer requested to withdraw from these treatments because he got strong hallucinations from the injections. Despite this, on December 30, 1952 at 9:53 a.m., he was injected with a fatal dose of 450 milligrams (mg) of MDA. The injection caused sweating, tremors, epileptic seizures and killed him in about 30 minutes. NYSPI has claimed that the overdose was accidental since the safe doses for these mescaline analogues were based only on a guess.

On the same day as Blauer, another NYSPI patient was injected with MDA. She was given 150 mg instead of the planned 450 mg dose of MDA, because her reaction to MDA "...was so violent that the injection was stopped when it was only one‐third complete."

Followed by the death of Blauer, animal tests were performed in 1953 to find out the LD50 values for the mescaline analogues (MDMA and many other compounds) before some of them were tested on people. This was done, on behalf of the Army Chemical Warfare Corps, in secrecy at the University of Michigan. Dr Maurice H. Seevers, Director of the Department of Pharmacology at Michigan University in Ann Arbor, supervised these tests.

Blauer had no knowledge of the experiment being performed on him, and after his death the experiment was covered up by the state of New York, the U.S. government and the CIA for 22 years. In 1987, a United States District Court judge awarded Blauer's estate over $700,000 in a ruling that described Blauer as a "guinea pig" whose medical records had been altered to disguise the actual cause of death.

--------------------

OfflineSonicTitan
 User Gallery

#27295189 - 05/05/21 07:48 AM (2 years, 10 months ago)

They injected him with 450mg of MDA?? Regardless of being naive of dosages you would think they had an idea of its effects from other trials with it.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/05) [Re: SonicTitan] * 1
    #27765090 - 05/05/22 08:32 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I know right. Well anyway, today was the 40th anniversary of Jerry and John Kahn playing Oregon State prison. I love that show. Hey Typewritermonkey, if what Chinacat said was true, and they were playing for some "family" who got busted with a lot of crystal LSD, who do you think that was? I know Kevin Gillan was busted a year or two earlier, but was he apart of the LSD family that Chinacat spoke so often of? Or was it someone else?

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/05) [Re: Learyfan]
    #28307234 - 05/05/23 05:05 AM (10 months, 17 days ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies